4. HEARINGS AND DISCIPLINARY MATTERS
(1) Where the Board receives a complaint or otherwise suspects that a member of the association:-
(a) has refused or neglected to comply with the provisions of these Rules or the Code of Ethics
(b) has wilfully acted in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the Association;
(c) has acted in a manner which may bring the member or the Association into disrepute;
the Board may by resolution:
(d) expel the member from the association; or
(e) suspend the member from membership of the association for a specified period
(2) A decision of the Board under Clause (1) is of no effect unless the Board, at a meeting not earlier than 14 days and not later than 28 days after the service on the member of a notice under Clause (3), confirms the decision in accordance with this Rule.
(3) Where the Board decides to expel or suspend a member pursuant to clause (1) the secretary shall, as soon as practicable, cause a notice in writing to be served on the member:-
(a) setting out the decision of the Board and the grounds on which it is based; and
(b) stating that the member may address the Board at a meeting to be held not earlier than 14 days and not later than 28 days after service of the notice;
(c) stating the date, place and time of that meeting; and
(d) informing the member that the member may do either or both of the following:-
(i) attend and speak at the meeting; and
(ii) submit to the Board prior to the date of that meeting or produce at the meeting written representations relating to the decision.
(4) At a meeting held as referred to in clause (3), the Board shall
(a) give to the member an opportunity to make oral representations;
(b) give due consideration to any written representations submitted to the Board by the member at or prior to the meeting; and
(c) by resolution determine whether to confirm or to revoke the decision
(5) Where the Board confirms the decision under clause (4) the secretary shall, within 7 days after that confirmation, by notice in writing inform the member of the fact and of the member’s rights of appeal under Rule 4A.
(6) A decision confirmed by the Board under clause (4) does not take effect:
(a) until the expiration of the period within which the member is entitled to appeal against the decision where the member does not exercise the right of appeal within that period; or
(b) where within that period the member exercises the right of appeal, unless and until the association confirms the decision pursuant to rule 4A(4).